NI Scarbee Jay-Bass v1.1.0 Kontakt Library
SCARBEE JAY-BASS is the go-to source for slap and finger bass. This addition to the “powered by KONTAKT” range of instruments is an expertly played and sampled late 70s Jazz bass. Created by Thomas Skarbye. Based on the Scarbee Red Bass, it makes extensive use of the advanced scripting features introduced with the SCARBEE PRE-BASS. With three pick-up positions and a multitude of playing techniques, SCARBEE JAY-BASS has it all when it comes to slapped and fingered bass sounds.
A REAL SLAP IN THE BASS
True-to-life sound is critical for realistic slapped and fingered bass; that’s why SCARBEE JAY-BASS is not just a collection of static sound samples. Utilizing recordings of the full strings of a late 70s Jazz bass, this instrument reproduces the timbre changes that occur when you move between low and high frets on the string of a real bass. In this way JAY-BASS delivers contrary “sweet spots” for a rich and vivid sound that’s highly natural. JAY-BASS is so realistic that you can even slide between chords. Recorded through a DI the SCARBEE JAY-BASS is highly adaptable and fits easily in to the mix, with or without additional processing.
UNDER THE HOOD
The GUI provides more than just a visual aid for string selection, but information on articulations and hand positions that make this a superb tool for learning how to play bass.
Under the hood SCARBEE JAY-BASS utilizes sophisticated scripting that automatically takes care of string selection, finger alteration, chord recognition, vibrato, release and much more. Furthermore, the script enables you to configure all settings including EQ, load and store FX presets, and access documentation covering every aspect of the instrument directly through the instrument performance view.
SCARBEE JAY-BASS FEATURES:
- Playable in real time – with the exception of cross hammering and trills all of the articulations in the list given further below can be triggered without the need for any keyswitches. Eg. Hammer-on & pull-offs are triggered by legato playing and fast grace notes by fast legato playing.
- A powerful user interface that pushes the Kontakt user interface to its limits: a fretboard display gives an overview of the playing position and for each string what fret and articulation (displayed as a unique symbol) that are used & dynamically updated as you play.
- All four strings sampled, more than 6000 samples and up to 4 velocity layers to capture the full timbre of the bass.
- Each string is monophonic so new notes replace earlier notes, giving a perfectly realistic bass.
- Automatic string selection – play and the script selects the most suitable string for you. Use keyswitches to limit the string choice or to move the active playing position (placement of left hand). The automatic string selection is tailor-made to work well with every articulation.
- Automatic alternation of right hand index and middle finger samples (can also be controlled using keyswitches).
- Convenient keyswitch mode – a keyswitch effects the following note or remains active as long as it’s pressed – making it easy to quickly return to the default mode of operation.
- Slide mode – play a note legato while holding the sustain pedal pressed to trigger a slide. The velocity will determine a slide speed.
- Chord mode – makes it possible for notes to be automatically assigned to the right strings even if the notes of a chord don’t arrive exactly at the same time.
- Control over release samples – random alternation between different release samples where the proportion of each can be controlled by the user. Select a default release type and use a keyswitch to toggle between the chosen default behaviour and other types.
- The sound of Mr. Scarbee’s own fingers.
- Bass recorded DI – to give you maximum flexibility in the sound production.
- EQ and Effect Presets – direct in the instrument user interface.
- Integrated documentation for all settings – direct in the instrument user interface.
SCARBEE AND NATIVE INSTRUMENTS
The Scarbee and Native Instruments partnership sees the expert sample house release instrument libraries under the “powered by KONTAKT” banner, for use with the industry-leading sampler KONTAKT or the free KONTAKT PLAYER. With SCARBEE’s renowned precision and level of detail applied to the multi award-winning KONTAKT platform, producers can expect a line of premium instruments across the musical spectrum.
KONTAKT version 5 and higher is required.