Punkademic The Musician’s Guide To Record Labels & Record Deals [TUTORIAL]
Everything you need to know to survive the music industry. Recording Contracts, Record Deals, and How Labels Work.
What you’ll learn:
- Students will learn the ins-and-outs of traditional record labels and independent record labels.
- Students will learn what advantages and disadvantages exist for “going it alone” without a record label.
- We will examine a typical recording contract, so students know what to expect, and how to negotiate.
- Working with Producers
- Roles of a Record Label
- Work For Hire
- Score of a Record Deal
- 360 Deals
- Release Commitments
- Royalty Basis
- Royalty Rate
- Royalty Deductions
- Producer Contracts
There are no course prerequisites. Students should be ready to discuss the intricacies of a record contract, but no familiarity with contracts or contract law is required.
Welcome to the “Musician’s Guide” Series!This series is pulled directly from the courses I’ve created for my university position in Music Business. All of these courses are designed for the everyday musician – amateur or professional – who has little or no knowledge on the topic, but wants to master it.This class is all about Record Labels and Record Deals. 100% Answer Rate! Every single question posted to this class is answered within 24 hours by the instructor. It is ideal for anyone who is interested in seeking out a record deal or is already considering one. Musicians: If you are making music, and considering a record deal, please watch this class!Producers: Before you sign on the dotted line, watch this class to be sure you understand everything you are signing up for.Bands: Maybe you are considering avoiding record labels, and starting your own independent label. This class is for you, too!Curious Minds: Anyone interested in how record labels work is invited to be a part of this class.We will start with traditional record label deals, and progress forward to talking about more modern deals. We will talk a lot about the “need” for a record deal in the modern age, and how you can get by without one at all. I’ll walk you through every issue in the contract so you fully understand what is being asked.The goal of this class is for you to understand what is in-between the lines of the contract.Software:This course is NOT specific to any DAW program.Genre:The recording studio has no genre – so all are welcome here. Topics Covered: Working with ProducersOwning the “Master”DistributionLoan-Out CompaniesRoles of a Record CompanyMusic publishing, and music industry trendsMake money online with your music.Work For HireScope of the Record DealTerm of the Record DealAdditional Song OptionsOther OptionsRelease CommitmentAdvancesRecoupmentPaybackRoyaltiesRoyalty RateRoyalty BasisRoyalty DeductionsMerchandise Videos360 DealsProducer ContractsAnd much, much more!If you are ready to start making money from your music, and making sure you are protected, this class will start you on that journey. Get started today.Dr. Allen is a university music professor and is a top-rated Udemy instructor – with nearly 100 courses and over 200,000 students. In 2017 Star Tribune Business featured him as a “Mover and a Shaker,” and he is recognized by the Grammy Foundation for his music education classes. ** I guarantee that this course is the most thorough Record Label course available ANYWHERE on the market – or your money back (30-day money-back guarantee) **Closed captions have been added to all lessons in this course.——————————————————————— Praise for Courses by Jason Allen:⇢ “It seems like every little detail is being covered in an extremely simple fashion. The learning process becomes relaxed and allows complex concepts to get absorbed easily. My only regret is not taking this course earlier.” – M. Shah⇢ “Great for everyone without any knowledge so far. I bought all three parts… It’s the best investment in leveling up my skills so far..” – Z. Palce⇢ “Excellent explanations! No more or less than what is needed.” – A. Tóth⇢ “VERY COOL. I’ve waited for years to see a good video course, now I don’t have to wait anymore. Thank You!” – Jeffrey Koury⇢ “I am learning LOTS! And I really like having the worksheets!” – A. Deichsel⇢ “The basics explained very clearly – loads of really useful tips!” – J. Pook⇢ “Jason is really quick and great with questions, always a great resource for an online class!” M. Smith—————————————————————————-Students who register for this course will receive ongoing exclusive content and discounts for all future classes in the series.
Section 1: Introduction & Overview
- Lecture 1 Introduction
- Lecture 2 What We are Covering Here
- Lecture 3 Tools You Will Need for This Class
- Lecture 4 Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer
Section 2: Definitions
- Lecture 5 Producer
- Lecture 6 The “Master”
- Lecture 7 Record Company
- Lecture 8 Distribution
- Lecture 9 Loan-Out Company
Section 3: How a Recording Company Works (Traditionally)
- Lecture 10 The 5 Roles of a Traditional Record Company
- Lecture 11 What We can Do Ourselves
- Lecture 12 Do Artists Still Need a Record Label?
Section 4: Parties & Scope
- Lecture 13 Work for Hire
- Lecture 14 Loan-Outs
- Lecture 15 Scope of The Contract
- Lecture 16 The 360 Deal
Section 5: Term
- Lecture 17 What is a Term?
- Lecture 18 Additional Songs
- Lecture 19 Options
- Lecture 20 Making 10 Albums Doesn’t Mean Releasing 10 Albums
Section 6: Release Commitment
- Lecture 21 The Fiona Apple Situation
- Lecture 22 Listen: Unreleased Version
- Lecture 23 So What Happened?
- Lecture 24 Listen: Released Version
- Lecture 25 How did it get Solved?
- Lecture 26 The Release Commitment
Section 7: Advances
- Lecture 27 The Million Dollar Record Deal
- Lecture 28 Recoup
- Lecture 29 Payback
Section 8: Royalties
- Lecture 30 What kind of Royalties?
- Lecture 31 Royalty Basis
- Lecture 32 Royalty Rate
- Lecture 33 “All In” Contracts
- Lecture 34 Deductions: Breakage
- Lecture 35 Deductions: Licensed Re-Sellers
- Lecture 36 Deductions: Container Charges
- Lecture 37 Deductions: Bargain Bins
- Lecture 38 Deductions: New Configurations
- Lecture 39 Deductions: Foreign Territories
- Lecture 40 Deductions: Sales Incentives
- Lecture 41 Deductions: Promotional Copies
Section 9: Math Time
- Lecture 42 Calculation for Royalties of a Physical CD
- Lecture 43 Recoup Amount
- Lecture 44 Calculation for Royalties of a Digital Sale
- Lecture 45 Recoup Amount
Section 10: Merchandise
- Lecture 46 Merchandising Rights
- Lecture 47 Merch Companies
- Lecture 48 Payments
Section 11: Videos
- Lecture 49 Works For Hire
- Lecture 50 Who Pays?
- Lecture 51 Who’s Vision?
Section 12: 360 Deals
- Lecture 52 Why?
- Lecture 53 Taylor Swift Example
Section 13: Producer Agreements
- Lecture 54 The Producer
- Lecture 55 Example: George Martin
- Lecture 56 When George Martin Met the Beatles
- Lecture 57 “Development Deals” With a Producer
Section 14: Free Stuff!
- Lecture 58 Stems to Remix!
Section 15: Wrap Up
- Lecture 59 What Comes Next?
- Lecture 60 Thanks for Watching!
- Lecture 61 Bonus Lecture
Anyone is interested in pursuing a record deal should watch this class!,Anyone is has always wondered how much musicians really make from a record deal should watch this class.,Anyone who has just wondered how record labels work will enjoy this class.